The assessment of the sustainability of Finnish forests is done using a collection of pan-European indicators. In some contexts, additions national indicators are applied, or the pan-European indicators are altered to correspond better to national conditions, which can be different because of the geographical or climatic indicators or geobotanical reasons.
.The six pan-European criteria for sustainable forestry are:
1. Maintenance and appropriate enhancement of forest resources and their contribution to global carbon cycles
2. Maintenance of forest ecosystems’ health and vitality.
3. Maintenance and encouragement of productive functions of forest (wood and non-wood)
4. Maintenance, conservation and appropriate enhancement of biological diversity in forest ecosystems
5. Maintenance, conservation and appropriate enhancement of protective functions in forest management (notably soil and water)
6. Maintenance of other socio-economic functions and conditions